Home computer rooms

Jari Arkko jari.arkko at piuha.net
Sat Aug 13 01:20:40 CDT 2011

13.8.2011 3:18, Charles N Wyble kirjoitti:
> All,
> Related to my thread about home data centers, what are folks using to
> store compute gear in?
> Mine sits in two racks in my second bedroom. Cooled by ambient AC.

Mine sits in a small room / closet under the stairs, in an on-purpose
built for this. But it is a little cramped with the current amount of
equipment I have.

> Has anyone built a dedicated room? What resources did you use to do so?
> Are their any standards to reference etc?

I do not believe there are any standards applicable to this, though I've
sometimes wondered if someone should write a guideline document for
recommendations concerning what kind of setup makes sense from a long
term perspective. Cat6, tubing to be able to replace even those, enough
space & ventilation for the equipment, power, etc. I chose to put my IT
equipment in a different utility room than the electrical/heating/etc
equipment. In most new houses the two are in the same room.

Here's some more information on what i did & some pictures: