NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Sat Aug 13 01:17:37 UTC 2011

In a message written on Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:11:56PM -0400, Steven Bellovin wrote:
> > The holy grail I'm searching for now?  A GigE switch with POE,
> > unmanaged is ok, and probably preferred from a price perspective;
> > but with NO FAN.
>
> I can't help with the POE part.  I have a 16-port D-Link DGS-1016D
> -- GigE, no fan, unmanaged.

Yeah, found a few of those.

My reason is simple.  There are people who make a 4-5 port switch
that is POE-powered, that is it gets it's power on the POE uplink
and then provides 3-4 switched ports with no power.

So if I have a POE central switch, in addition for working for the
direct to Phone and Camera POE device ports it would allow me to
have desktop hubs where I need a breakout without any power cable,
plus they would then all be on the central UPS!

I realize this is a bit of a tall order, as the switch must be
designed to deliver full wattage on all ports even though that might
not happen.  I would accept a switch with fans that rather than
just changing speed kept them off until a temperature threshold was
reached.

Heck, even finding 16 port _unmanaged_ _affordable_ POE is very hard, a
couple of 100M options, I don't think I know of any GigE options, and
Managed seems to add $1k to the price, which is steep for home.