NANOGers home data centers - What's in your closet?

Charles N Wyble charles at knownelement.com
Fri Aug 12 23:28:57 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I'm curious what other NANOGers have in their home compute centers? On
the extreme end of course we have mr morris :)
with his uber lab: http://smorris.uber-geek.net/lab.htm

I've got the following:

Production rack (4 post AV rack)

>From top down:
Current primary internet connection, soon to be out of band internet
connection (Wimax from Clearwire)
Ubiquity Networks Nanostation2 based AP (MeshPotato via the VillageTelco
project) << serving up 3 SSID (bridge to main vlan, guest, honeypot)
Linksys WRT54G T-mobile version << not doing anything at the moment

3 dell optiplex 745s

PFSense router (WAN to clearwire, LAN to Cisco 3550)
AlientVault server (amazing software package)
Proxmox server (another great software package)

I have also considered turning all 3 machines into Proxmox boxes and run
everything in a virtual machine. I like the Dell Optiplex machines, they
sip power.

APC UPS (considering a rack mount UPS and will probably buy one this
weekend from the local Goodwill computer works store)
PS3 << gotta get my parallel hacking on
Avocent Cyclades PDU (unused currently as my apartment wiring won't
support it)
Cisco 3550 Distribution Switch
Cisco 2950 Access Switch
Dell PowerEge 1800
Dell PowerEdge 2800

I've got a network lab rack (skeletek) as well. This hosts a 6509 and
other fun things (cisco routers/switches). Pretty sure I can do any
CCNA/CCNP/CCIE(R&S) lab scenario).

So what's in NANOGers home networks/compute centers? :)