OSPF vs IS-IS

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Fri Aug 12 15:29:27 UTC 2011

I thought I'd chime in from my perspective, being the head router
jockey for a bunch of relatively small networks.  I still find that
many routers have support for OSPF but not IS-IS.  That, plus the fact
that most of these networks were based on OSPF before I took charge of
them, in the absence of a compelling reason to change to another IGP,
keeps me from taking advantage of IS-IS.  I'd like to, but not so
badly that I am willing to work around those routers without IS-IS, or
weight that feature more heavily when purchasing new equipment.

There are many routers with OSPF but no IS-IS.  I haven't seen any
with IS-IS but no OSPF.  I don't think such router would be very
marketable to most non-SP networks.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts