OSPF vs IS-IS

Stefan Fouant sfouant at shortestpathfirst.net
Fri Aug 12 01:36:01 UTC 2011

On 8/11/2011 8:16 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> I would encourage you to ask the opposite question:  " Is there any
> reason to run OSPF over IS-IS in the SP core?"
> And the answer would be...  probably not.  There is not really a good
> technical reason to run OSPF over IS-IS in the SP core.
> You might have some aesthetic considerations such as wanting the SP
> core to run the same protocol as something else,
> despite its limitations.

Just to add to everything that Jimmy said, if you've got the time to do
an in-depth side-by-side analysis of the two protocols, I strongly
recommend the book "OSPF and IS-IS: Choosing an IGP for Large-Scale
Networks" by Jeff Doyle.  I can't speak highly enough of this book...

Stefan Fouant
JNCIE-ER, JNCIE-M, JNCIE-SEC, JNCI
Technical Trainer, Juniper Networks
http://www.shortestpathfirst.net