IPv6 end user addressing

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Thu Aug 11 09:53:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 01:52:10PM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

> Well, we know that the human population will stabilise somewhere below
> ten billion by around 2050. The current unicast space provides for about

How about the machine population? How about self-replicating systems?
How about geography-based address allocation, to go away with global routing
tables? How about InterPlaNet, such as LEO routers, solar power
satellites, controlling industrial production on the Moon and elsewhere?

I don't expect IPv6 will last much longer than IPv4. And that's probably
a good thing.