US internet providers hijacking users' search queries

David Conrad drc at
Mon Aug 8 22:52:19 CDT 2011

On Aug 8, 2011, at 2:56 PM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> messing with basic plumbing will have unintended consequences, they will be bad.
> If the users her WANT to have this experience, there are lots of
> in-browser/application methods to achieve this, hijacking DNS at the
> resolver is really just NOT the right answer, ever.

See that ship off on the horizon?  It appears to have sailed...

I'm told that non-trivial revenue is being generated by ISPs who are doing this redirection.  As long as that is true, I suspect it's unlikely pointing out how broken hijacking DNS is will be particularly effective.