IPv6 end user addressing

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Aug 5 16:38:16 UTC 2011

On Fri, 05 Aug 2011 12:17:48 EDT, Brian Mengel said:
> In reviewing IPv6 end user allocation policies, I can find little
> agreement on what prefix length is appropriate for residential end
> users.  /64 and /56 seem to be the favorite candidates, with /56 being
> slightly preferred.
>
> I am most curious as to why a /60 prefix is not considered when trying
> to address this problem.  It provides 16 /64 subnetworks, which seems
> like an adequate amount for an end user.

Basically, the thinking was a /56 is still "cheap" as far as allocating space,
so if you need more than a /64, might as well go to /56 and avoid the mess if a
user needs a 17th subnet.  This isn't IPv4, where you have to actually worry
about burning through your IP allocation doling it out to customers.  Even a
single /32 will service a *lot* of /56's, and I don't think *anybody* is big
enough to actually burn through a /24 allocation (feel free to prove me wrong..
;)