dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Hannes Frederic Sowa hannes at stressinduktion.org
Thu Aug 4 12:00:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 03, 2011 at 01:14:52PM -0700, Owen DeLong wrote:
> > *Really*?  It bakes the endpoint MAC into the IP?  Well, that's miserably
> > poor architecture design.
> >

> It can and it is a common default. It is not required.
>
> It's actually rather elegant architecture design for the goals it was
> implemented to accomplish.

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iesg-serno-privacy-00> warned against using
hardware serial numbers in End-to-End protocols. As Privacy Extensions and DAD
actually work great in my environments I will stay with that option. Servers
will get static IP addresses. I don't see a need for embedding serial numbers
into IP addresses.

gruss,

  Hannes