dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Aug 3 23:31:53 UTC 2011

On Tue, 02 Aug 2011 22:37:55 PDT, Joel Jaeggli said:

> there are 38453 ASes that appear in the DFZ this week and I don't see
> that number growing to 1 billion anytime soon.

Exactly. Right now, how many routes flap if Comcast drops a state's worth of
cable customers for a moment? What does *your* router do when that happens?
Does it even notice or care? And what will your router do with the tsunami of
link updates if all those customers were multihomed?

Yeah, there's that whole routing table explosion problem when everybody and
their pet llama multihomes. And till you address that little problem, 99.44% of
people's multihoming will be "Darn, Comcast died again, let me turn on the AT&T
wifi card and try that instead".