dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 3 20:38:58 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com>

> > Did I mention I haven't implemented v6 yet? :-)
>
> No, you didn't. Perhaps you should spend some time learning about
> it before you opine on how it should or should not be implemented.

Perhaps.  But that's a SHOULD, not a MUST; it's possible to make useful
observations without having every single implementation detail, quite often.

> FWIW, I have implemented IPv6 in multiple organizations, including
> my home where I've been running with it for several years.

You continue to put your home network up as an examplar, Owen, for many
things.  I don't think it's an exemplar of most of the things you do --
it is *specifically* not a Home Network as that term of art is, I think,
currently understood by most people, even though it's a network, in
a home.

> > *Really*? It bakes the endpoint MAC into the IP? Well, that's
> > miserably poor architecture design.
>
> It can and it is a common default. It is not required.

Good to know.

> It's actually rather elegant architecture design for the goals it was
> implemented to accomplish.

I will look up what those are.

I'm not wilfully blind, and I don't have opinions that are unchangeable.

> Let me know if you have further questions.

I'll do that, thanks.  Has ORA done an IPv6 book?  My Borders seems to be
having a sale...

Cheers,
-- jra