dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

William Allen Simpson william.allen.simpson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:54:45 UTC 2011

On 8/3/11 4:13 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> I agree that autoconf is desirable. Now, please explain to me why it is
> desirable for the address to change at random intervals from the customer
> perspective? (i.e. why would one want dynamic rather than static auto
> configuration?)

Because IPv6 was originally designed with the goal of completely
transparent renumbering.  Indeed, after many WG meetings over many
years debating renumbering and all the problems that entailed for
IPv4, some of my drafts proposed that IANA would renumber IPv6 for
every ISP and IX at regular intervals!

Thus, enforcing that all the dynamic configuration protocols
actually work.  :-) And nobody starts issuing licenses based on IP
addresses anymore. :-(