dynamic or static IPv6 prefixes to residential customers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Aug 3 00:14:26 UTC 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 3:37 PM, james machado wrote:

>>> Yes I am saying a household that mulithomes is abnormal and with
>>> today's and contracted monopolies I expect that to continue.  You are
>>> not a normal household in that 1) you multihome 2) you are willing to
>>> pay $1500+ US a year for your own AS, IP assignments
>>
>> while I don't disagree with the assertion that this is unrealistic the annual fee is $100 per org-id for direct assignments.
>

> sorry was unclear - I was guessing $1500+ for ASnumer + IP Assignments
> but not counting  ISP costs for a year.  Looks like ARIN is charging
> about $1250 per year for a new IPv6 assignment and the AS yearly cost
> is rolled into that.  Granted ISP costs will probably be in the
> ballpark of  $150 per month for 2 consumer grade connections and more
> for business or better connections.
>
> James

No, you still have it wrong.

There is a one-time charge of $500 for your ASN and $1250 for your /48.
After that, it is just $100/year, period.

The ISP costs do not have to be significantly more than what you already
pay for commodity access. My ISP costs total roughly $140/month, but, for
that I am subscribing to 50Mbps down and 7Mbps up and usually get
about 70Mbps down and close to 10Mbps up as well as a slower DSL
circuit for backup.

Yes, it's more than $20/month, but, decent business class service
from one provider is going to be around $60/month or more. So, if you
double that ($120), you're not far off from what I'm paying and for the
small incremental cost, I'm getting quite a bit more.

Owen