How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sat Apr 30 17:34:15 UTC 2011

Once upon a time, Octavio Alvarez <alvarezp at alvarezp.ods.org> said:
> So the first user in a router tunes to a multicast stream. Consumption
> for the ISP and all the routers in the chain to the source: same as if
> it were a unicast stream. Then a second user tunes to a multicast
> stream. Cost for the ISP: zero.

How does this affect peering, when some providers want bandwidth ratios
in a certain range?

I can also see how this affects the ISPs providing bandwidth to the
content providers.  In our colo for example, we rate-limit customers to
the paid-for bandwidth at the colo port.  With multicast however, they
could use significantly more bandwidth, because every router in our
network could potentially send the stream to many ports.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>