How do you put a TV station on the Mbone?

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Fri Apr 29 23:44:05 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 05:51:25PM -0400, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> > Imagine: multicast internet radio! Awesome!
>
> That would, indeed, be awesome; when everyone in my office was listening to
> the royal wedding, there would be a *much* higher chance of them all being
> in sync.

That reminds me of 9/11. When the tragic event unfolded, we sat in the
office. News made the rounds verbally, and people started looking for
streaming services at their personal desks (no TVs around). People
pretty quickly gave up trying to find streams and news portals which were
actually working fine and the crowd gathering behind me watching over my
shoulder became bigger and bigger.

Why? Because I was in the fortunate position of being able to watch an
Mbone multicast stream of some news TV broadcaster... cannot remember
wether it was CNN or BBC or someone else entirely. Back then, a collegue
was playing around with IP multicast and my desktop machine had connectivity
to his Mbone-connected playground. :)

IP multicast was the only way for us to see what happened, live.
Unicast failed miserably.

Best regards,
Daniel