How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Apr 29 21:16:51 UTC 2011

> You've conflated my two points.  That would tell the *carriers* who's
> watching
> what, but they probably don't care.  I was talking about *the
> providers*
> knowing (think DRM and "3096 viewers online").
>
> Cheers,
> -- jra

It would be done the same way it is done currently with cable TV.  Who tells CBS how many people are watching?  The cable provider knows (or has the capability of knowing with modern digital cable) exactly what channel each cable box is watching at any time.

How does a provider of broadcast television know who is watching?  They don't, unless the subscriber has a ratings service device at their prem.

But if "broadcast" events over the internet are treated the same as "broadcast" events over RF,  who cares?