How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

Simon Lockhart simon at slimey.org
Fri Apr 29 19:15:00 UTC 2011

On Fri Apr 29, 2011 at 03:03:47PM -0400, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> The real problem I see myself is that *the Mbone has to be pervasive* (or
> mostly so) for this to be a worthwhile investment for providers.

What is missing is an adaptive client (be it flash, or HTML5) which will
transparently use multicast if it's available, and otherwise fall back to
unicast.

I've discussed this many times with IPTV technology providers. Many have agreed
that it's a superb solution, but none have delivered.

Delivering multicast to end users is fundamentally not hard. The biggest issue
seems to be with residential CPE (pretty much the same problem as IPv6,
really).

Simon