How do you put a TV station on the Mbone? (was: Royal Wedding...)

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Apr 29 17:48:51 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rubens Kuhl" <rubensk at gmail.com>

> >> Isn't the real problem with global multicast: "How do we ultimately
> >> bill the broadcaster for all that traffic amplification that
> >> happened
> >> *inside* every other AS?" It seems like you'd have to do per-packet
> >> accounting at every router, and coordinate billing/reporting
> >> amongst
> >> all providers that saw those packets.
>
> Broadcast encrypted streams. Unicast the key distribution, allowing
> interested parties to count, bill, block, allow, litigate, agree...

And that's the snap answer, yes.  But the *load*, while admittedly
lessened over unicast, falls *mostly* to the carriers, who cannot anymore
bill for it, either to end users, providers, *or* as transit.

Will they not complain about having their equipment utilization go up
with no recompense -- for something that is only of benefit to commercial
customers of some other entity?

You're effectively pushing the CDN into the backbone, here; no?

Cheers,
-- jra