Comcast's 6to4 Relays

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Wed Apr 20 00:52:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 16:47 -0700, Cameron Byrne wrote:
> On Apr 19, 2011 2:56 PM, "Mikael Abrahamsson" <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:
> >
> +1. 6to4 is very bad and should be off my default, but unfortunately many
> end users unwittingly have it on and this may provide them some relief.

So am I to understand that services like Toredo client (which is what I
PRESUME is being discussed) is on automatically in some Windows desktop
systems?  The drafts I saw posted earlier were discussing what is
essentially toredo services (anycast tunnel) at least.  If this is on by
default, then that is only bad (in my opinion) IF there is no native
IPv6 support on the LAN side of these networks.  Maybe I am missing
something, but this is my take.

> More ipv6 leadership from the Comcast camp. Keep it up.

Seems to me that if Comcast has "announced IPv6 support" and it is not
NATIVE IPV6 support, then that is certainly a problem.  Either way,
there certainly IS a place in networks for Toredo services, since SO
MANY devices for the CPE end of the connectivity equation still have
zero support for IPv6.  It's not the best solution for sure, but the
fact remains that most networks will be dual-stacked at least initially
at the core, but the endpoints (customer networks) are outside of our
administrative control and often are behind devices that we do not
control/own.  Maybe I'm missing something...

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*            NOTE MY NEW NUMBER:  702-537-0979                     *