IPv4 address exchange

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Apr 19 21:16:21 UTC 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 3:46 PM, Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Benson Schliesser
> <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:
>> Meanwhile, under the current system, ARIN has managed to accumulate a >$25M cash reserve despite an increasing budget. (see https://www.arin.net/participate/meetings/reports/ARIN_XXVII/PDF/Wednesday/andersen_treasurer.pdf)
> Is your problem that ARIN spends its money poorly?  I believe it does
> in some ways, but the community generally does not care enough to try
> to improve this.  I questioned ARIN's travel budget a few years ago
> and was essentially flamed for doing so.

I might agree that ARIN wastes money, but that wasn't my point.  The context of my comment was your original message, which argued that a competitive registry system would enable vendors to "over-charge".  Without defining what an optimal cost might be, my comment was intended to show that our current baseline already results in a surplus.  And I agree with DRC's comment that competition might improve / optimize costs, rather than inflate them.

Cheers,
-Benson