IPv4 address exchange

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Apr 19 20:07:27 UTC 2011

On Apr 19, 2011, at 3:29 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> to the list I provided you in the previous message. Or are you implying that ARIN and the other RIRs are committing to synchronizing their databases with alternative address registrars as they become established?

If by "established", you mean as a result of global policy established
by multi-stakeholder, private sector led, bottom-up policy development
model?  Quite likely, as ARIN has committed to such principles and has
an excellent track record of supporting Internet registry changes that
result (e.g. the establishment and recognition of LACNIC and AfriNIC)

>>> What venue do you propose for a global consultative action to be taken in an open, transparent, an unbiased manner?
>> I've suggested ICANN, IGF, or the RIRs...
>
> I find ARIN's new found interests in engaging in ICANN-related processes heartwarming given my past experiences, but I suspect both the ICANN and RIR venues would be somewhat biased against changing the status quo.  As for the IGF, my perhaps mistaken perception is that it has a slightly different focus than dealing with the operational implications of the proliferation of alternative address registrars. The main problem is one of timeliness. I doubt the market is going to wait for IGF, ICANN, or even RIR processes. But we'll see.

Quite true... it's very hard to complete in a timely manner something
that hasn't yet been started.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO