IPv4 address exchange

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Apr 19 19:29:11 UTC 2011

John,

On Apr 19, 2011, at 9:36 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> There are already two "address registrars" and at least 5 (6 if you count IANA) address whois databases.  I expect there to be more in the future, particularly now there is an existence proof that you can sell addresses and the Internet doesn't explode.
> How does transfer of number resources within a region imply additional whois databases?

Hint:

Add

% whois -h whois.depository.net 128.8.10.5

to the list I provided you in the previous message. Or are you implying that ARIN and the other RIRs are committing to synchronizing their databases with alternative address registrars as they become established?

>> What venue do you propose for a global consultative action to be taken in an open, transparent, an unbiased manner?
> I've suggested ICANN, IGF, or the RIRs...

I find ARIN's new found interests in engaging in ICANN-related processes heartwarming given my past experiences, but I suspect both the ICANN and RIR venues would be somewhat biased against changing the status quo.  As for the IGF, my perhaps mistaken perception is that it has a slightly different focus than dealing with the operational implications of the proliferation of alternative address registrars. The main problem is one of timeliness. I doubt the market is going to wait for IGF, ICANN, or even RIR processes. But we'll see.

Regards,
-drc