IPv4 address exchange

Jeff Wheeler jsw at inconcepts.biz
Tue Apr 19 17:19:46 UTC 2011

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> However, as far as I can tell, multiple registries isn't what is implicitly being proposed.  What appears to be eing proposed is something a bit like the registry/registrar split, where there is a _single_ IPv4 registry and multiple competing 'post-allocation services' providers.

Are you saying there are people who advocate creating a new ecosystem
of service providers for supplying several things that the RIRs
exclusively supply today?  IN-ADDR delegation, WHOIS registration, and
... that's pretty much it, right?  People want to separate the DNS and
WHOIS database from ARIN and create new businesses to charge new fees
for providing that?

Sign me up.  As a vendor.  I'd love to over-charge for the dead simple
task of using an API to push DNS delegation updates to the IN-ADDR
servers, and running a whois server.  What a great business!  I'm sure
GoDaddy.com would be happy to add this service to their portfolio.

Where is the value for stakeholders?  If you really want WHOIS output
with a common, unified structure, you can do that.  Bulk access to RIR
data is available today.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how a bunch of different
entities providing fragmented "post-allocation services" is of any
benefit.

--
Jeff S Wheeler <jsw at inconcepts.biz>
Sr Network Operator  /  Innovative Network Concepts