365x24x7

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 04:35:19 UTC 2011

  On 15/04/11 6:14 AM, harbor235 wrote:
> If I were going to provide a 365x24x7 NOC, how many teams of personnel do I
> need
> to fully cover operations? I assume minimally you need 3 teams to cover the
> required
> 24 hr coverage, but there is off time and schedule rotation?
>
> thoughts, experience?

There have been a lot of comments that talk about the operational
issues, and about how well it works or doesn't work to rotate
schedules.  In my experience, the most important thing to do is to
decide how you are going to setup the schedules BEFORE you hire.  Then
advertise for the exact work schedule(s) you need to fill, and pay an
appropriate shift differential so that you get people who are happy to
work the worst shifts for slightly better pay.  People don't like being
treated like slaves, expected to just shut up and work a crappy
schedule.  You will have a much more reliable team if you treat the
staff like valued members of your company, don't try to trick them or
over work them, or expect them to disrupt their lives over and over as
your shifts change.  Some people are naturally night-owls - find them
and hire THEM for the swing and night shifts.

Also, don't forget that your 24x7x365 staff will have to work holidays,
and be sure to work in an appropriate holiday bonus pay schedule as
well.  Otherwise expect to eventually have a bad case of the blue flu
someday and end up having to call managers (directors/ VPs, YOU) away
from their holiday with their family to keep your NOC staffed.

jc