IPv4 address exchange

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Apr 18 23:33:11 UTC 2011

On Apr 18, 2011, at 4:10 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Yes... See ARIN NRPM 8.3 and Simplified Transfer Listing Service (STLS).

ARIN allows the listing of non-ARIN blocks on their listing service?

Also, doesn't the Microsoft-Nortel transaction violate NPRM 8.3 in that according to the court documents I've seen, Microsoft appears to have signed an LRSA (not an RSA as would seem to be required by the NPRM and as mentioned on ARIN's press release) and there doesn't appear to be anything suggesting Nortel entered into any agreement with ARIN (RSA or LRSA, however I will admit I haven't looked too closely)?

> If you want to see changes to these, suggest submitting policy via ARIN PPML
> or suggestions via the ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process (ACSP).

As far as I can tell, the participants in ARIN's processes are more interested in trying to be a regulator than in being a registry. Given ARIN is not a government body and it does not have full buy-in from those who they would try to regulate, I suspect this will directly result in a proliferation of folks like tradeipv4.com, depository.net, etc. Unfortunately, I figure this will have negative repercussions for network operations (unless someone steps in and provides a definitive "address titles registry").

Regards,
-drc