Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Mon Apr 18 22:37:43 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-18 21:50, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> To my mind then, LISP moves these tables from a few thousand DFZ
> routers managed (generally) by well staffed engineering teams to
> tens or hundreds of thousands of edge boxes, in many cases managed
> by the clueless.

This is something out of practical world that would have to be
considered obviously. OTOH it is the prefix originating site that
controls who and how will see the prefixes, not the
traffic source site. Having control over what and to whom you
advertise, you have the capability to "not being announced"
to the "clueless".

> The problem is we don't live in a LISP world.  To go there now would
> be a wholesale conversion from what we are doing.  Granted, the
> LISP folks have designed something that is relatively easy to convert
> to, so they are making an effort.

The LISP adventure is not as simple as "go from A to Z" - it
may end up today if the test network decides to disband with
no hurt to anyone. It may decide to go on and convert only
the sites willing, which is actually what happens right now -
giving benefits to users, and normal service for anyone else.

--
"There's no sense in being precise when |               Łukasz Bromirski
  you don't know what you're talking     |      jid:lbromirski at jabber.org
  about."               John von Neumann |    http://lukasz.bromirski.net