365x24x7

Adam Atkinson ghira at mistral.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 17:24:34 UTC 2011

John Levine wrote:

> I've read stuff that confirms that changing to a later shift is much
> easier than changing to an earlier one.  It certainly matches my
> experience that the jet lag flying to Europe, where I have to get up
> six hours earlier, is much worse than flying back.

Last time I went to the US I stayed on something pretty close to my
usual timetable while there. So I went to bed at about 6pm US time
and got up in the very early morning US time.

Fortunately, this was fine for the 4-day event I was attending.

I think I will do this in future if I can.

> It also makes the obvious point that fewer shift changes are easier on
> the employees than more.

One of my sisters-in-law is a nurse and her shifts seem to be all over
the place from day to day. I don't understand how she copes.