365x24x7

Adam Atkinson ghira at mistral.co.uk
Sun Apr 17 09:09:48 UTC 2011

Bill Stewart wrote:

> Rotating shifts between daytime and nighttime is a horrible thing to
> do to your workers, both for their health and their attention span.
> Full-time night work isn't great, but rotating work is even worse.
> Apes are generally diurnal, not nocturnal or crepuscular.   Shuffling
> who has to work which days is annoying enough.

I spent several months working in a place with rotating shifts. One week
10pm to 7am, then the next week 2pm to 10pm then the week after 7am to
2pm and then repeat. I never understood why they were different lengths
either. It was pretty grim and I'd much prefer to have had shifts change
ever few months.

Some people claimed they'd have preferred it if we'd changed to the
_following_ shift rater than the preceding shift each week but never
having tried that I don't know how it would be.