365x24x7

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Fri Apr 15 18:23:48 UTC 2011

> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 09:14:05 -0400
> Subject: 365x24x7
> From: harbor235 <harbor235 at gmail.com>
> To: NANOG list <nanog at nanog.org>
>
> If I were going to provide a 365x24x7 NOC, how many teams of personnel do I
> need
> to fully cover operations? I assume minimally you need 3 teams to cover the
> required
> 24 hr coverage, but there is off time and schedule rotation?
>
> thoughts, experience?

You haven't done the math right.   You're not even *close* to 'real world'
requirements.

3 people only provide 24-hour coverage for *five* days/week.  *before*
considering any the "stuff" mentioned below.

7x24 requires _4-1/5_ persons per position, assuming 40-hr work week,
_before_ allowing for vacations, etc..

Scheduled vacation time adds another 5-8% to the manpower requirement.

Don't forget "holidays", 'sick days',  and 'personal time'.  that's another
5-10%, or so.

Do you intend to allow any participation in 'professional' activities,
conferences, etc. and/or any on-going training? Another 5% easily.

Now, don't foreget  about 'in-house' "overhead" actitivites.  e.g.
'staff meetings'.   3-5%  (i.e., 1-2 hours/week) is a not-unreasonable
estimate.

These things push the total requirment to just over 5 people per position,
but 'shift scheduling' is a *bitch*.

Lastly, you have to consider meal-breaks and such _during_ the shift.
This means 'n+1' people per shift, to ensure 'n' on duty at all times.

Take your minimum required NOC positions, add one person (for the n+1
completeness), then multiply by 5 and you've got a realistic estimate of
the *minimum* manpower requirement.

Note: You'll probably want 'above minimum' staffing on 1st shift (and
possibly some on 2nd) to handle 'routine'/'non-essential' activities.