365x24x7

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 16:50:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Marshall Eubanks <tme at americafree.tv> wrote:

> On Apr 15, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Greg Moore wrote:
>
>> When I did this years ago I found 5 was really a minimum so that I could cover weekends and then had extra coverage as needed during the week.
>>
>> I did find it was good to swap out the graveyard shift every 6 months or so.
>>

> When I worked with NASA and the Navy on remote locations that needed full time staffing, the rule of thumb was
> 5 people and 4 shifts was the absolute minimum, and the people had to be motivated enough to pull 12 hour shifts on a regular basis (i.e., this
> was very bare bones). The 4th shift was needed during the weekends.
>
> Anything less, and you would have uncovered periods if, say, 2 people got sick simultaneously.

I believe that for ongoing long term operations, NASA and DOD
standards are 6 shifts worth of people, however you juggle the
particular shift lengths / schedules.  I.e., NORAD, NASA ISS / Moon
mission mission control, etc.

You can do it with 5, but people need time to get sick, take
vacations, go to training, etc.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com