Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to an Alternative?

Florian Weimer fweimer at bfk.de
Tue Apr 12 08:34:43 UTC 2011

* Justin Scott:

>> No such luck: They want me to PAY FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR for
>> which I did NOT receive service and then for the current (upcoming
>> year). Sorry - I don't allow myself to be ripped off like that.
>
> Hi John, this is actually a pretty common practice for service
> subscription models where the software and its components (spam filter
> rules in this case) are being continually updated.

But it's not been updated during the sabbatical.  In this regard, it's
very different from crisis support services, where such a model is
still obnoxious, but at least makes some sense.

> but you're going to benefit NOW from work that was done at that time
> (the un-paid period) AND all the future updates that come out during
> your new renewal period.

Seems doubtful, given the volatility of filtering rules.

--
Florian Weimer                <fweimer at bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99