Top-posting (was: Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to anAlternative? )

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Apr 12 06:49:17 UTC 2011

On 12 Apr 2011, at 07:33, Michael DeMan wrote:

> Call me and old 'hard case' - but I prefer that when I get information via email, that if possible, the relevant information show up immediately.
>
> Call me lazy I guess - but I would expect that most folks on this list have also understood good user interface design, and that the least amount of work that needs to be done for the receiver to be able to get their information is frequently the best solution.

Well indeed, top-posting is just so much more efficient given the volumes of email most of us probably see each day.

Back when receiving an email was an event, and your xbiff flag popping up was a cause for excitement, taking time to scroll/page down to the new bottom-posted content in the reply was part of the enjoyment of the whole 'You have new mail' process.     But I'm afraid times have changed; bottom-posted email is now an annoyance to most just as a slow-loading web page would be.

Tim