Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Apr 11 15:26:32 UTC 2011

On Apr 11, 2011, at 8:15 AM, Luigi Iannone wrote:

> On 11, Apr, 2011, at 15:37 , Owen DeLong wrote:
>

>> On Apr 11, 2011, at 6:30 AM, Luigi Iannone wrote:
>>

>>> On 11, Apr, 2011, at 15:17 , Owen DeLong wrote:
>>>
>>> [snip]

>>> Sorry. I misunderstood.
>>>
>>> But can you explain better? Why should LISP require more IP space than normal IPv4 deployment?
>>>
>>> If you are a new site, you ask for an IP block. This is independent from whether or not you will use LISP.
>>>
>> Sure, but, if you also need locators, don't you need additional IP space to use for locators?
>
> No, those are the IP address that you provider gives to your border router.

Right... In addition to my provider independent addresses... That's more address space than is required
if I am not using LISP.

>>> If you are an existing site and you want to switch to LISP why you need more space? you can re-use what you have?
>>>
>> Perhaps I misunderstand LISP, but, I though you needed space to use for locators and space
>> to use for IDs if you are an independently routed multi-homed site.
>
> Not exactly. You do not need more space. You re-use what you have.

Still confused, then. This seems antithetical to what you said above and below...

>> If you are not an independently routed multi-homed site, then, don't you need a set of host IDs
>> to go with each of your upstream locators?
>>
>> As I understand LISP, it's basically a dynamic tunneling system where you have two discrete,
>> but non-overlapping address spaces, one inside the tunnels and one outside.
>>
>> If that's the case, then, I believe it leads to at least some amount of duplicate consumption of
>> IP numbers.
>>

> No true. I ask for a PI block that I will use as EID-Prefix, then the locators are part of the address space of my providers.
> There is no duplication.

Right... Ordinarily, without LISP, I get a PI block and use that for EID and the routing is based on the
EID prefix. With LISP, the EID prefix is PI and I use additional PA resources to do the routing locators.
That's what I meant by duplication. There are additional PA resources required on top of the PI in order
to make LISP work.

>>> Or I missed the point again?
>>>
>> Or perhaps the complexity of LISP in the details still confuses me, despite people's insistence
>> that it is not complex.
>>

> IMHO it is very simple. As any new technology  there is just a learning curve to follow, but for LISP it is not steep ;-)

I'd agree with you if it weren't for the fact I keep thinking I just about understand LISP and then get told
that my understanding is incorrect (repeatedly).

Owen