Barracuda Networks is at it again: Any Suggestions as to an Alternative?

Tim Chown tjc at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Apr 9 09:30:56 UTC 2011

On 9 Apr 2011, at 04:56, Dobbins, Roland wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2011, at 10:51 AM, John Palmer (NANOG Acct) wrote:
>
>> My question is - does anyone have any suggestions for another e-mail appliance like the Barracuda Spam Firewall that doesn't try to charge their customers for time not used
>

> <http://www.ironport.com/>

I don't know quite how high a performance you need.   If it's just email spam/viruses you are concerned with, you can run MailScanner for free, see http://www.mailscanner.info.    It's been around for 10 years now and used by a lot of big organisations, many of which are listed on the web site.    Written by a colleague here at University of Southampton, hence the plug.   If you install and run it yourself, there's a good community mail list for support and tips.

If you want a commercial version then Fort Systems (http://www.fsl.com) can do that, and they also have a companion product BarricadeMX that's a pretty decent pre-filter system.

Tim