Bubba is a 75 year old woman looking to make some extra cash

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Apr 7 19:16:19 UTC 2011

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 7, 2011, at 1:54 PM, Jeroen van Aart <jeroen at mompl.net> wrote:

> Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/apr/06/georgian-woman-cuts-web-access
>
> Babushkas can be quite mean, though mostly it's shopping bags that are their preferred tools of assault. ;-)

As the recipient of a number of umbrella tips while trying to catch up to my fiancee (at the time, ex-wife now) in a meat shop in Moscow, I have to differ with you here. They seem quite adept at the use of an umbrella rather than a shopping bag as an effective weapon.

Once we finally got out of the shop (I was a full 10 minutes delayed behind my fiancee), we figured out that her effort to move efficiently through the crowd (which virtually parted before her) combined with my effort to keep up (or catch up as rapidly became the case) had been interpreted by the babushkas as her trying to get away from my unwanted attentions. I must say, they were impressively effective and well coordinated in impeding my progress while expediting hers considering it was a random crowd of seemingly unconnected people.

Owen