Implementations/suggestions for Multihoming IPv6 for DSL sites

Tomas Podermanski tpoder at cis.vutbr.cz
Thu Apr 7 13:51:07 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel,
    all IPv6 multihoming ideas are very theoretical today. None of them
is ready to use. Shim6 looks very good, but it requires support on both
a client and a server side. As you can guess, there is only experimental
support for some operating systems. Microsoft and Apple doesn't support it.

A one possible solution I have found is based on a network prefix
translation (NPTv6 http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mrw-nat66-12). Using
NPTv6 you can do multihoming that is very similar to multihoming based
on IPv4 NAT.

I haven't found any commercial product that supports it, but you can use
an implementation for Linux (map66
http://sourceforge.net/projects/map66/). Assembling map66 with some
other scripts (to detect link failure) you can have what are you looking
for.

On 4/7/11 11:58 AM, isabel dias wrote:
> have you thought about taking a Cisco training course?

I wonder if that kind of knowledge can be learned in any Cisco course
today. I don't think so.

Tomas