HIJACKED: 159.223.0.0/16 -- WTF? Does anybody care?

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Mon Apr 4 18:04:10 UTC 2011

On Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 06:09:22PM -0500, Jason Baugher wrote:
> We would NEVER "out" the customer to the public, even if we felt the
> abuse was intentional. My CEO and our lawyers would blow a gasket if
> we were to potentially libel a customer.

And this why we (the community) find ourselves where we do, because
nearly everyone has this policy or one quite similar to it.  Until
this changes -- which will require CEOs with spines and lawyers who
craft ToS agreements that stipulate full disclosure in abuse cases --
there will always be one more place for The Bad Guys to go.

And they will: even if they *could* stop, and clearly many of them
are sociopaths who can't, why should they?  It's too lucrative and
the chances they'll endure any meaningful sanction are tiny, doubly
so if they have any talent for the usual shuffle.  (Which is: agree
to a pathetic settlement, promise not to do it again, dissolve the
company, start a new company, do it again.)

---rsk