IPv4 Address Exhaustion Effects on the Earth

Jim Gettys jg at freedesktop.org
Sun Apr 3 18:53:24 UTC 2011

On 04/01/2011 11:44 AM, George Bonser wrote:
> [...]

Sigh...  A major opportunity missed.

Unfortunately the bufferbloat problem isn't a laughing matter, though I
do wish I had thought of this idea in time for my talk.  I will include
this joke as some levity about the mess we're in as I repeat the talk
going forward, and would tie in very nicely with one of the amusing
reasons that "RED in a different light" has never been published. I
really hate giving such bad news without some levity as it can be a real
downer both for me and the audience.

For those of you who missed my IETF talk, you can find the latest
version (tweaked since IETF) at:
http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/PragueIETF/

I suspect audio is some place on the net as well; I presented at the
transport area meeting.  The questions after my talk are also very worth
listening to. Time was precious in that venue, so I did feel rushed and
hope to get a better opportunity in a month or two for that.  It's a
shorter version of my first talk given at Murray Hill
http://mirrors.bufferbloat.net/Talks/BellLabs01192011/ which does have
additional information impossible to fit in that short a time slot.
                 - Jim