RIP Justification

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Thu Sep 30 20:58:21 UTC 2010

On 9/30/2010 3:32 PM, Jack Carrozzo wrote:
> When was the last time you ran into a younger neteng designing his topology
> who went "Yes! IS-IS!"? It works fine (very well in fact) but it's just less
> used.

Which makes no sense to me. I originally looked at both and thought OSPF
to be inferior to IS-IS. That being said, OSPF is supported on more (and
cheaper) hardware. IS-IS can have additional licensing with some
hardware (where OSPF does not) and is often considered a "service
provider" protocol by vendors.

Jack