Software-based Border Router

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at xyonet.com
Wed Sep 29 13:23:42 UTC 2010

  On 9/29/2010 8:59 AM, Heath Jones wrote:
> What's the real-world power consumption and heat like? 455 days shows
> some pretty good reliability!
> Cheers for the info Curtis
That's a really good question.  This is a small 260 watt supermicro
short depth (14") 1u system I purchased from tigerdirect.  Its roughly
the same type of system that barracuda networks would sell you.  You can
purchase one from newegg with dual core atom 330 processors which would
be even lower power for around $414.  Its a nothing box and its not even
breathing hard.  its running on a 100mbps fiber.  The speed tests that
I've run show it running close to wire speed.  It would probably run
even better if I were using real server NIC's on it.  I'm just using the
two on board GB NIC's.  It has an available PCI slot.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2220  @ 2.40GHz

Would I run an ISP on it?  No.  Would I deploy a much more capable box
for a more robust environment, absolutely.  This particular box is
firewalling an insurance company.

--Curtis