Randy in Nevis

Joe Abley jabley at hopcount.ca
Wed Sep 29 12:59:40 UTC 2010

On 2010-09-29, at 12:25, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2010 14:13:51 +0200, =?utf-8?Q?Bj=C3=B8rn_Mork?= said:
>> John Peach <john-nanog at johnpeach.com> writes:
>>
>>> It is on all Linux distros:
>>>
>>> ssmtp           465/tcp         smtps           # SMTP over SSL
>>
>> So file bug reports.
>
> bug-reports at iana.org seems to bounce.

I don't know the history of 465/tcp as an entry in the registry found at <<http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers>, but assuming the current entry is there for a reason (and hence is not an error that might be corrected), I believe this is the workflow required to change it.

The port-number registry is maintained according to the directions in RFC 2780. To change an entry in the registry you need to write and submit an internet-draft <http://www.ietf.org/id-info/> which contains an IANA Considerations section specifying the change that is required. Those specifications will be executed (and the registry updated) if/when the I-D makes it through to that stage in the RFC publication process. RFC 2780 gives the following guidance for how such an I-D might reach that stage.

9.1 TCP Source and Destination Port fields

   Both the Source and Destination Port fields use the same namespace.
   Values in this namespace are assigned following a Specification
   Required, Expert Review, IESG Approval, IETF Consensus, or Standards
   Action process.  Note that some assignments may involve non-
   disclosure information.

Joe