Software-based Border Router

Curtis Maurand cmaurand at xyonet.com
Wed Sep 29 12:53:25 UTC 2010

I didn't say hardware forwarding.  I said hardware.  They have
appliances that run up to 3Mpps and support 8000 tunnels.  This is all
information from their website.  I've been running vyatta on a small
dual core supermicro shallow box for 455 days without a reboot.  Except
for the occasional tunnel drop (which I've managed to automate
restarting that service via a shell script) its been rock solid.  Its
been as rock solid as the OpenRoute router it replaced and that router
ran for 10 years.  There are lots of interfaces you can purchase for the
thing including 10Gbps if you need them.  Some of those might have
hardware forwarding, they might not.  Running server quality interfaces
is always better than the cheap little Realtek.  However, those cheap
little Realteks get it done...reliably.