What must one do to avoid Gmail's retarded non-spam filtering?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Sep 28 20:44:24 UTC 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Erik L <erik_list at caneris.com> wrote:
> An increasingly large number of our customers are using
> Gmail or Google Apps and almost all of our OSS/BSS mail
> is getting spam filtered by Google. Among others, these
> e-mails include invoices, order confirmations, payment
> notifications, customer portal logins, and tickets. Almost
> anything we send to customers on Google ends up in their
> spam folder.

Erik,

Do you send marketing information to your customers from the same IP
addresses as you send your invoices?

Have you checked the source IPs against the RBLs with, e.g.
http://rbls.org/? What about the source IP of the specific machine the
originates the invoices et. al?

Is the invoicing machine also in SPF? One of the companies I do
business with accidentally excluded their billing mailer from the SPF
record.

Have you sent copies of the various types of documents to a mail
server running Spam Assassin in order to see which qualms Spam
Assassin flags? Careless mistakes with the headers or the clock can
get your message flagged as spam. Even something as simple as ALL CAPS
can get you flagged.

Have you added your invoicing mailer, the one you can guarantee sends
no marketing materials, in to the whitelist at http://www.dnswl.org/?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004