Mobile Operator Connectivity

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Tue Sep 28 01:41:39 UTC 2010

Some large telcos with wireless and wireline operations in the US
maintain 2 separate backbones: one that I call "wired", that corresponds
to traditional wired access where commerce servers are usually located;
and one that I call a "wireless" backbone, where GSM/CDMA wireless
devices are used to aggregate access-layer traffic. Both backbones
consist of national fiber-optic, BGP-based networks. Surprisingly, some
large telcos have a presence of both wireline and wireless backbones in
the same colos, but the 2 backbone networks are interconnected, not in
that colo, but at a single geographic location (with perhaps a single
hot standby interconnection site), located, for example in northern
Virginia.

So, the worst case is that if the servers and GSM/CDMA devices are
located in Southern California, even though the telco has a wireline and
wireless presence in the local LA colo, GSM/CDMA access-layer traffic
must traverse the continental US to northern Virginia and back to get to
the server.