Software-based Border Router

cmaurand at xyonet.com cmaurand at xyonet.com
Mon Sep 27 22:06:25 UTC 2010

I haven't found that to be the case.  The larger memory space available to
the kernel allows for larger BGP tables and filtering tables.  I've seen
BSD based systems running thousands of concurrent tunnels and the
processors available in the linux/BSD space bury anything that the router
manufacturers are overcharging you for.  A properly planned upgrade or
addition of a card should take a maximum of 15 minutes as everything
should be plug and play.   Some of the software based systems also come
from the manufacturer with the hardware.

If the network is configured properly with failover capabilities and only
one unit down at a time, down time is minimal or non existent.  Software
upgrades happen in a matter of minutes.

Cheers,
--Curtis