Routers in Data Centers

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Sun Sep 26 17:47:55 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Joel Jaeggli <joelja at bogus.com> said:
> On Sep 26, 2010, at 8:26, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:
> > There are servers and storage arrays that have a front that is nothing
> > but hot-swap hard drive bays (plugged into backplanes), and they've been
> > doing front-to-back cooling since day one.  Maybe the router vendors
> > need to buy a Dell, open the case, and take a look.
>
> The backplane for a sata disk array is 8 wires per drive plus a common power bus.

Server vendors managed cooling just fine for years with 80 pin SCA
connectors.  Hard drives are also harder to cool, as they are a solid
block, filling the space, unlike a card of chips.

I'm not saying the problems are the same, but I am saying that a
backplane making cooling "hard" is not a good excuse, especially when
the small empty chassis costs $10K+.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>