Routers in Data Centers

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Sun Sep 26 17:17:07 UTC 2010

On Sep 26, 2010, at 8:26, Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net> wrote:

>> Bakplanes make direct front to back cooling hard. non-modular platforms can do it just fine however.
>
> There are servers and storage arrays that have a front that is nothing
> but hot-swap hard drive bays (plugged into backplanes), and they've been
> doing front-to-back cooling since day one.  Maybe the router vendors
> need to buy a Dell, open the case, and take a look.

The backplane for a sata disk array is 8 wires per drive plus a common power bus.

> The server vendors also somehow manage to make an empty case that costs
> less than $10,000 (they'll even fill it up with useful stuff for less
> than that).

Unit volume is little higher, and the margins kind of suck. There's a reason why hp would rather sell you a blade server chassis than 16 1us.

Equating servers and routers is like equating bouncy castle prices with renting an oil platform.