Routers in Data Centers

Steven King sking at kingrst.com
Sat Sep 25 07:11:25 UTC 2010

 Cisco uses their own ASICS is their higher end flag ship devices.
Devices such as the Catalyst 6500 series or the 2960 switches. You
pretty much singled out all the major players, including those who have
been bought out (Foundry by HP) and claimed they do not provide their
own, yet 3rd party flawed ASICS. I am actually surprised you didn't
mention HP, Linksys or Dell as they are the most guilty of using 3rd
party ASICS and shotty software. If you are buying data center grade
equipment from these vendors, it will be quality hardware backed by
their support (if purchased) such as Cisco's SmartNet agreements.

Moral of the story, do your research on the devices you plan to
implement and ask for data sheets on how the features you need are
handled (in software or hardware). I know Juniper and Cisco provide such
documentation for their devices. Quality hardware, however more
expensive, will give you less trouble in the long run. You truly get
what you pay for in the networking industry.

--
Steve King

Senior Linux Engineer - Advance Internet, Inc.
Cisco Certified Network Associate
CompTIA Linux+ Certified Professional
CompTIA A+ Certified Professional