Active Directory requires Microsoft DNS?

Daniel accesss801 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 17:49:35 UTC 2010

AD works just fine with BIND as long as dynamic updates are allowed to the
AD zone's from the DC's. Exchange 2007 by default also wants to be able to
dynamically register it's record's but it can be disabled.

All you need to do is configure the DNS server's in the IP settings and
restart the net logon service on the DC's and watch all the records get
populated into the zone on BIND. That's all you need to do to migrate from
MS DNS to BIND as well.

The only issue I ran into was old records not being deleted properly in BIND
(removing a DC) so you had to manually delete them from the zone but it
wasn't a big deal since there's not many records and easy to identify.

If your worried about all the records not being registered properly you can
look at a local file on the DC and it will list the records that should be
in DNS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816587

There is also a utility you can run on the DC's that will verify all the
records that should be in DNS and report any errors. I don't recall for sure
but I think it was netdiag.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321708

-Dan