LISP Works - Re: Facebook Issues/Outage in Southeast?

Cameron Byrne cb.list6 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 00:56:15 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 5:50 PM, "Scott Weeks" <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
>> --- jared at puck.nether.net wrote:
>
>> It's working over LISP:
>>
>> http://www.lisp4.facebook.com/
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> LISP as in Locator/ID Separation Protocol?
>
> --- jared at puck.nether.net wrote:
> From: Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
>
> Yes.
> ---------------------------------
>

> Wow, that's cool.  I didn't know LISP had progressed that far...

I would have to agree, i am surprised that there is a single Cisco
3800 series router running test code of LISP at any content
provider.... which is all this is.  Facebook made it clear that LISP
was an experiment, not a technology direction.  I don't think this
example represents anything in particular.  As a network operator, i
am afraid LISP is going to turn into the next 6to4 .. an interesting
idea that causes more harm than good.  Sorry to the fans of 6to4 and
LISP, i just long for the day when real IPv6 restores the real e2e
internet without strange trickery along the way.

Cameron